Residential Children’s Home Manager
Responsible To: Registered individual, Practice and Developmental lead.
Responsible For: All Staff
Qualifications Required (Desirable/Essential)
A Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Residential Childcare (England)
Essential or a Diploma in Social Work (desirable)
Experience or understanding of working in a therapeutic environment.
Purpose of Post
The post holder is responsible for all children and the staff within the home. He/she will manage the house’s resources to provide a positive living experience for the resident children. He/she will undertake the registered manager’s responsibilities under the Care Standards Act 2000, the Children’s Homes National Minimum Standards and the Children’s Home Regulations.
- Deputy manager
- Senior residential social workers
- Residential care workers
- Administrative staff
- Domestic staff
Duties and Responsibilities
- To supervise and offer constructive feedback and be involved in the assessment and supervision of staff.
- To ensure children and young people are safeguarded as appropriate. To report/record safeguarding concerns under guidance and regulation and company policy.
- To embody the organisational values in management behaviours and staff engagement.
- To advise on policies and procedures to reflect the aims and objectives of the home, to develop systems for monitoring progress towards the achievement of such aims and objectives.
- To ensure that services are delivered according to the Statement of Purpose for the home and guidance.
- To access the development needs of young people and to monitor and improve the home’s support plan and practices for each young person.
- To create an open and supportive atmosphere within the home between staff members and between staff and young people, to enable the growth and development of both staff and young people.
- To ensure the home is safe and to provide a pleasant quality environment for the children.
- To create and develop links between the community and the home to enable children to take part fully in the life of the local community.
- To ensure children and staff are aware of all the procedures relating to complaints and concerns and how to activate them.
- To recruit, train and develop staff to meet the objectives of the home in accordance with the statement of purpose, guidance and policy and procedures.
- To manage and operate budgets within the agreed guidelines for the home.
- To ensure the assessed needs of young people in the home are met on a day-to-day basis.
- To contribute effectively to each child’s placement plan review and child in care review.
- To ensure that the young person contributes as far as is feasible in the review process.
- To ensure that there is a comprehensive plan for young people preparing to leave care.
- Flexibility of hours as there will be occasional contact out of regular working hours, occasional sleep-in duties are expected in the role.
- Responsible for understanding and promoting equal opportunities and the diversity policy.
Health and Safety
- To be responsible for the health and safety of young people and staff.
Person Specification for Residential Manager
- NVQ or Diploma Level 5 in Leadership & Management in Residential Children’s Services or equivalent
- Experience in Managing a Residential children’s service
- Because of Ofsted regulations, all employees in our Residential Service must be over 20 years of age;
- Experience of working within a children’s residential care setting or similar;
- Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Residential Service or equivalent;
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade or above;
- Physically fit;
- A resilient, enthusiastic and motivated person;
- Ability to lead staff teams effectively and confidently;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Calm, approachable manner, adaptable and non-judgemental;
- Able to work under his own initiative and as part of a team;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Knowledge of Child Protection & Safeguarding;
- Ability to drive and hold a current driving licence.
- Previous experience in a Deputy Manager or Senior Role in a Residential Children’s Care Setting
- Experience in the line management of staff, including supervisions
- Social Work Qualification or equivalent
- Any relevant or transferrable skills, such as First Aid trained
- Knowledge of the Children Act & Children’s Homes Regulations
- Understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Approach to Childcare